The plant biology postgraduate programme is dedicated to provide training and experience to allow talented developing scientists to become active and competent professional plant scientists and effective academics. Modern and well-equipped research facilities are available for use by students in the School of Biological Sciences. These include low temperature rooms, tissue culture facilities and GLC. The programme offers special opportunities for research in plant cell and molecular biology, and plant systematic and evolution. The newly furbished Herbarium facility provides access to preserved plant specimens collected from various parts of Peninsula Malaysia. Other modern instrumentation for all aspects of plant cell and molecular biology such as electron microscope, ultracentrifuges, electrophoresis equipment and computing facilities for DNA and protein sequence analysis housed in individual laboratories and shared facilities are also available. Interdisciplinary study is encouraged and facilitated by programmes in environmental biology, agronomy and plant pathology and biotechnology. The plant biology programme, in collaboration with the environmental and ecology programmes, is actively researching the conservation status of several threatened plant species in Malaysia such as Cryptocoryne.
Research Thrust Areas
- Plant Taxonomy
- Plant Tissue & Cell Culture
- Weed Biology
- Molecular Taxonomy
Expertise available in the following School:
School of Biological Sciences
Applicants should possess the following:
- A Master’s degree with CGPA 3.00/4 or
- Bachelor’s (CGPA 3.67/4) degree in a related field.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- The applicants native language is English or National language
- Applicant graduated from institutions of higher learning which use English Language as the medium of instruction.
- English courses offered by British Council.
- Passed USM's Intensive English Course Level IV with minimum gred B.
- English courses offered by selected Public / Private Universities.
Full-time: Min 4 semesters / Max 10 semesters
Part-time: Min 6 semesters /Max 15 semesters
|Full Time||Part Time|
|Full Time||Part Time|
** Fees are subject to change