The program aims to produce manpower / human resources in the field of Big Data Analytics which capable of making decisions based on the availability of comprehensive data.
Objectives of this program as follows:
• Having a deep understanding of the core concepts, practice and tools in the domain of data science and analytics.
• Acquiring the knowledge and skills of collecting and integrating data, modelling and advanced big data analysis so that they can apply in the work across many domains / sectors.
• Acting as the highly competence big data analytical tool (power user) in a variety of industries, while having social skills, communicate effectively and ethically and exhibiting the characteristics of leadership.
• Innovative in the application and use of data analytic tool in various BDA domains or as researchers who are able to make decisions based on the availability of comprehensive data and lifelong learning, and be able to study at a higher level in cross-disciplinary research involving ICT.
Candidates are required to complete 44 units in order to graduate.
Core Courses (24 Units) (Code: C)
Candidates are required to take the following courses:
• Principles and Practices of Data Science and Analytics
• Big Data Storage & Management
• Machine Learning
• Enabling Technologies & Infrastructures for Data Science
• Data Visualisation & Visual Analytics
• Research, Consultancy & Professional Skills
Elective Courses (12 Units) (Code: E)
Focus Area Electives = 12 units
Choose any three (3) courses of six (6) elective courses.
List of Focus Areas
• Consumers Behavioural and Social Media Analytics
• Business Intelligence & Decision Analytics
• Predictive Business Analytics
• Multimodal Information Retrieval
• Text & Speech Analytics
• Forensic Analytics & Digital Investigations
Consultancy Project & Practicum (8 Units) (Code: C)
This experiential work-based learning course prepares students to be a data scientist/analytics consultant by enhancing students’ knowledge and skills in research, planning and implementation of a consultancy project in the field of data science/analytics, which can be applied to real life situation. Students are required to complete the practicum at their respective workplaces or their chosen/assigned organisations. Students work under the supervision of a lecturer and an industry supervisor. The students are required to solve a real world problem or tap opportunities related to data science and analytics during their practicum.
Expertise available in the following School:
School of Computer Sciences
Applicants should possess the following:
- Applicants should possess a bachelor's degree in any field focusing on numeracy skills such as computing, engineering, physical sciences and other fields that contain sound statistical background (e.g. business, accounting, economics, life sciences and health sciences) with a minimum CGPA of 2.75 and above, or equivalent, from a recognized university.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have working experience of at least 3 years in areas related to ICT.
- Degrees awarded by local private institutions of higher learning, including those awarded under any collaborative/franchising schemes with local or foreign partners must be accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or
- Passed USM's Intensive English Course Level IV with minimum grade B or
- The applicants native language is English or National language or
- Applicant graduated from institutions of higher learning which use English Language as the medium of instruction or
- English courses offered by British Council or
- English courses offered by selected Public / Private Universities.
Full-time: Min 3 semesters / Max 6 semesters
February & September
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|
** Fees are subject to change