The course aims to contribute to the establishment of a pool of medical educationists who will be advising medical professionals and evaluating medical and allied health programmes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels as well as increasing candidates' knowledge, skills and attitudes regarding medical education so as to increase their effectiveness as teachers or trainers in their respective institutions.
It is also hoped that this programme will prepare potential candidates to carry out further responsibilities as academicians and do research, publish articles, as well as undertake academic administration and management.
The course consists of 4 semesters. In the first 2 semesters, candidates will be full-time students undergoing coursework. A research project will be carried out in the third and fourth semesters in the candidate's individual home institutions.
Semester I (10 units)
- Introduction to Medical and Health Profession Education
- Principles of Teaching and Learning in Medicine
- Student Assessment in Medical Schools
- Programme Evaluation and Planned Change Elective Subjects
- Curriculum Planning and Development in Medical Schools
- Trends in Educational Approaches for Medical and Health Sciences
Semester II (10 units)
- Organisation and Management
- Educational Research Methods and Design in Medicaland Health Sciences
- Development of Professional Skills in Medicine (Leadership and Faculty Development)
- Learning Environments and Microteaching Skills in Medical Education
- Educational Psychology
- Mentoring and Student Counselling
- Introduction to Bioethics, Communication Skills, Medical Law
Semester III & IV (20 units)
Expertise available in the following School:
School of Medical Sciences
Applicants should possess the following:
A Bachelor's degree in Medicine/Dentistry/Allied Health (e.g. MD, MBBS, MBBCh, BSc Dentistry/BSc Nursing) or other relevant degrees.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview or a pretest.
- Applicants are also required, from time to time to fulfil other requirements of the university.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 35 in Internet-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language); or
- A minimum of Band 5 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System); or
- A minimum score of 154 in Cambridge English Advance (CAE); or
- A minimum score of 154 in Cambridge Proficiency Advance (CPE); or
- A minimum score of 36 in Pearson Test of English (PTE); or
- A minimum of Band 2 in MUET (Malaysian University English Test)
Exemption can be given if:
- English is the candidate's mother tongue or National Language; or
- The candidate graduated from an Institution of Higher Learning in which the medium of instruction is English
- Full-time: Min 4 semesters / Max 6 semesters
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|
** Fees are subject to change