The course aims to contribute to the establishment of a pool of medical educationists who will be advising medical professionals and evaluating medical and allied health programmes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels as well as increasing candidates' knowledge, skills and attitudes regarding medical education so as to increase their effectiveness as teachers or trainers in their respective institutions.
It is also hoped that this programme will prepare potential candidates to carry out further responsibilities as academicians and do research, publish articles, as well as undertake academic administration and management.
The course consists of 4 semesters. In the first 2 semesters, candidates will be full-time students undergoing coursework. A research project will be carried out in the third and fourth semesters in the candidate's individual home institutions.
Semester I (10 units)
- Introduction to Medical and Health Profession Education
- Principles of Teaching and Learning in Medicine
- Student Assessment in Medical Schools
- Programme Evaluation and Planned Change Elective Subjects
- Curriculum Planning and Development in Medical Schools
- Trends in Educational Approaches for Medical and Health Sciences
Semester II (10 units)
- Organisation and Management
- Educational Research Methods and Design in Medicaland Health Sciences
- Development of Professional Skills in Medicine (Leadership and Faculty Development)
- Learning Environments and Microteaching Skills in Medical Education
- Educational Psychology
- Mentoring and Student Counselling
- Introduction to Bioethics, Communication Skills, Medical Law
Semester III & IV (20 units)
Expertise available in the following School:
School of Medical Sciences
Applicants should possess the following:
- A first degree in Medicine/Dentistry/Allied Health (e.g. MD, MBBS, MBBCh, BSc Dentistry/BSc Nursing) or other relevant degrees.
- Foreign candidates are required to enroll and pass a Bahasa Malaysia course while doing this programme.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview or a pretest.
- Applicants are also required, from time to time to fulfil other requirements of the university.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- Full-time: Min 4 semesters / Max 6 semesters
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|
** Fees are subject to change